Organized by SIGUL, the ELRA-ISCA SIG on Under-resourced Languages, the Workshop on Ugandan Languages will take place in Kampala, at Makerere University, on November 18–22, 2019 as part of the UNESCO International Year of Indigenous Languages 2019.
The workshop goal is the protection of language diversity in Uganda and globally.
The event promotes language development and showcases local initiatives which play an important role in the protection and promotion of Ugandan languages. Through the presentation of ongoing work, discussion and workshops we wish to contribute to the 2019 International Year of Indigenous Languages.
The events, lectures and workshops aim to:
- Showcase the situation of language diversity in Uganda;
- Support Ugandan initiatives seeking new avenues for language development and language-resource building;
- Share knowledge, methods and good practices in support of literacy, indigenous language teaching, and digital resource development;
- Discuss ways for language documentation of endangered and less-resourced languages;
- Present modern technological solutions for language documentation, and language technology development;
- Review and discuss key notions and language-related issues and envision a sustainable future for language development in Uganda.
Professor Beerman and Professor Besacier, respectively contributor and co-Chair of SIGUL, will both give keynote speeches at the workshop.
For more information on the workshop and the programme, visit : https://bit.ly/2SVwi0l